Friday, June 28, 2013

The Beginning of the End

I am currently flying over Montreal on my flight home.  Marcus is sitting next to me watching some action packed movie, Kai is doing something similar, Ginger is passed out cold, and my parents are enjoying themselves in Business class and sending us drinks and snacks periodically. (Again, thanks a lot!!)  It’s been a whirlwind of 4 months.  Time hasn’t gone faster, or slower, at times.  I have gone through the motions today, traveling, layovers, delays, luggage, things you just do.  I haven’t really thought about the fact that this chapter of my life is closing.  I have talked about studying abroad since high school.  I knew it  was something I wanted to do.  Heck, I applied to two schools IN EUROPE for college.  I knew I was supposed to go back at some point.  After falling in love with school in South Carolina, I never thought I could leave school there and enjoy another place, knowing my friends and life would continue there without me.  But I did.  And I loved it.  I don’t know if I have “changed” abroad but I certainly learned a lot about myself.  Many people have told me that I wouldn’t want to come back.  Two weeks ago, I would have told them they were wrong, I was ready to see my family and I was ready to have the certain luxuries of being home.  But after having my family in Vienna, everything changed.  I love that city.  I love being able to walk everywhere.  I love the historical buildings, the self-confidence people exude, wearing whatever they choose and not thinking twice about it.  The individuality and different cultures you experience around each corner.  Life is always interesting.  Never the same, never ordinary.

But at the same time, I hated missing my close friends, my family and my life in South Carolina.  I missed my Delta Zeta sorority functions; I miss driving down the streets of Columbia, blasting country music with the windows down.  I miss the southern hospitality, the friendliness of a stranger, and the smiles from acquaintances.  I look forward to being back there come August. But I also know thatI will appreciate those things more, and similarly, I will miss parts of Vienna.  I will miss sitting on Maggie’s balcony in he morning, enjoying a big cup of coffee.  I will also miss my close group of friends in Vienna.  The fact that we would do anything for any one of us, and that we never got sick of each other.  Vienna has made me appreciate the little things in life.  I hope I do not get sucked into the fast pace of a fully scheduled life again.  I want to enjoy a big cup of coffee outside, I want to eat a fresh breakfast, and walk round a city with no list of errands to complete. 

I hope to take the experiences from Vienna and incorporate them into my busy life at school.  I hope to make my senior year the most unforgettable. 


As for the summer, AKA the next six weeks before my drive down to Columbia, I hope to recuperate, unpack and purge the excess in my life that I haven’t missed over the past four months, and enjoy my summer with my family.  This will probably the longest time that the five of us will be “the five of us” under the same roof.  Ever.  Kai is starting school in Miami in the fall, and I will be graduating from my undergrad in June.  I don’t know what my next step will be, but I am spending time this summer prepping for the GMAT to take in the fall and apply to grad schools.  Marcus will be a freshmen in high school.  Oh, and Marcus did, indeed, pass me up while I was gone.  I’m now the shortest child and the second shortest in my family of giants.  CRAZY. 



I know that this blog was for my time abroad, and I didn’t do the best job consistently updating it, but I hope to create a new blog this summer and continue blogging. If this actually happens, I will make a post on Vienna or Bust to redirect you.  Blogging helps me reflect on my life, and appreciate the experiences I have had. 

All for now, thanks for following :)

No comments:

Post a Comment