Saturday, May 18, 2013

Diane Does Vienna

After returning from Salzburg, my mom and I wasted no time.  We bought snacks and wine and hosted a few friends Friday evening, before heading to a local bar that all of the foreign exchange students go to.  I was so happy to introduce my mom to my closer friends here.  Everyone loved her, and everyone told me they knew EXACTLY how I was going be 28 years down the road.  That's okay, I would be very happy if I grew up to be just like my mom.

On Saturday, we went to Naschmarkt and had so much fun exploring, tasting yummy food and checking out the flea market.  The Flea Market next to Naschmarkt is a cross between some really cool treasures and stands that look like people literally took all the junk/garbage from their house and threw it into a heap.  My mom and I bought some really cool stones from a stand.  We are going to make some amazing jewelry.  The man who sold us the beads was named Aziz, and he was such a friendly person who gave us an unbelievable deal.  He asked us where we were from and we explained that I was studying in Vienna but we were from the US.  And then he thanked us.  He said that he was from Afghanistan and that the American Troops and presence saved his country.  He was so complimentary and said that he was so thankful.  My mom and I were astonished.  Not only were we not expecting that, but it was just so heartwarming to hear it out of the blue.  He explained that his immediate family was here but his brothers and other relatives were still living in Afghanistan.  Its amazing what you will find when you take the time to get to know people.

On Sunday, Mom and I walked to the Schönbrunn Palace, and walked through the grounds, up the hill and sat at a cafe and had an Eiskaffee. (our favorite!) It was such a great weekend.  We were lucky enough to have great weather the entire time and we were so blessed to spend six full days together.  I am so happy to have my mom and one of my very best friends.  We have shared some great experiences together, and I know there will be many more to come.  This trip was our first international trip together, but I can promise you it certainly won't be our last!

Again, I will add some pictures when I receive a copy of them from my mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment