Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Euro-Fam

The second weekend in April I decided to pick up for the weekend and visit our family friends in Innsbruck.  I lovingly refer to them as "my Euro-Fam" as they truly are family to me.  Esmeralda, Horst and Christopher were our neighbors the first time we lived in Germany in the Wildpark in Engenhahn.  Esmeralda and Horst work for Lufthansa, Esmeralda a head purser and Horst a pilot.  Esmeralda really took my mom under her wing when we lived in Germany.  They became good friends and the Endruweits would invite us over for big barbecue dinners on beautiful summer nights.  When we moved back to Chicago, Esmeralda and Horst requested to fly to Chicago more often than normally in order to visit us.  We have visited them in Germany multiple times as well.  Almost 7 years ago the Endruweits moved to Innsbruck and began construction on their dream home.  When I decided to study in Vienna for the semester, the Esmeralda was so happy that they would be near in case I needed anything and that I would be able visit.

The weekend in Innsbruck was a perfect "family" get away.  It was so nice to be in a home again and to have my own space but also be with a family.  Esmeralda and I spent Saturday walking around the city center, I had my first Sacher Torte, a famous chocolate cake from the Sacher Hotel in Vienna.  There are also Sacher Hotels in Innsbruck and Salzburg.  I also bought my first pair of "Pretty Ballerina" flats, and I can promise you, they won't be my last pair either!

On Saturday night, the Endruweits were invited to a special performance of a music and dance group from Patsch.  Patsch is a small town near Mutters, a small town in the mountains around Innsbruck where the Endruweits live.  This group, had returned from a performance "tour" in Asia and Horst was their pilot on their return flight! They had a long slide show of all the places they visited and where they performed, followed my a concert, dance performance and musical bells (Glockenspiel).  It was such a unique experience and I was so fortunate to see such a special part of Austrian culture.


I love to cook and prepare meals so it was great to be with Esmeralda and prepare food together.  On Sunday, Esmeralda taught me how to make homemade pizzas with fresh, homemade dough....they were delicious! It was so fun cutting the mozzarella and just being together.  It truly was a perfect weekend.  I got to "re-charge" my batteries, relax and be with a family.

I am hoping to bring Maggie back with me at the beginning of June to spend a weekend and see Innsbruck.  Esmeralda said that she would pick out some of her favorite recipes and buy the ingredients for us to make them together and then make copies of the recipes for us to take along.  If classes aren't too busy, I know we will both be there!
Sacher Torte and Cappuccino! 

The view from the Endruweit's rooftop patio. So beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment