Thursday, May 16, 2013

Salzburg

My incredible Mom arrived in Vienna on the 23rd of April and stayed a short 6 days.  We had the most amazing time together.  I can honestly say that she is one of my very best friends, as well as the most inspirational, strong, independent role model a daughter could ask for.  We started her visit with a two night trip to Salzburg.  When I decided to study abroad in Vienna, we promised each other that we would do the Sound Of Music Tour together.  My dad and brothers were completely willing to let us do this one as a "girls trip." I wonder why?

On our way to Salzburg, about a two and a half hour train ride, we say next to the CUTEST little lady. Coincidentally, it was my Nana's 102nd Birthday and we were planning to call her that evening from Salzburg.  This woman was 92, Hungarian but had lived in Austria for the past 40 years.  She lived alone, but was visiting her grandchildren and had 5 roses with her, one for each of them.  She told us that each visit, her grandchildren always receive a red rose from her.  She spoke German with me but spoke slowly enough for my mom to catch most of it as well.  She spoke so fondly of her late husband, family and life in Austria.  After I helped her with her bag and got her off the train at her stop, my mom looked at me and said, "God sent us an Austrian Nana for her birthday."  And she was completely right, this woman filled our spirits.  And to think that we met her on our Nana's 102nd Birthday.  Its funny how things like that work out.

We had a great time in Salzburg.  We went on the Sound Of Music Tour, which consisted of disappointingly cheesy commentary and unnecessary remarks, but the sights and scenery around Austria was breathtaking.  When Mom and I got back to Vienna we spent one night after dinner watching the Sound of Music to place all the sights we saw during our tour.  We had a fun time.  Salzburg also has occasional "Nacht Shopping" events and we happened to be there for one! All the stores were open until 10PM (unheard of in Germany or Austria, most stores close at 6PM) We were able to window shop and see all of Salzburg, and had two great dinners together.  It was so fun sharing a bottle of wine and talking.

I know I am so fortunate to have a Mom that is willing to fly across the world to visit me.  TWICE! I found out just before my Mom arrived, that my entire family will be visiting for a week once I finish my classes in June.  I cannot wait to show them my temporary home.  I'm certainly one lucky lady.

I would normally attach some pictures, but my Mom has all of them on her phone....I'll post them once I get a copy!

No comments:

Post a Comment