Sunday, March 10, 2013

What Do You Mean, You DON'T Speak Chinese?

Our first dinner in Vienna: Chinese.  I know, that's probably a sin.  But we were jet-lagged and tired and it was close...so Nicole, Maggie, Lauren and I went to get Chinese.  Nicole landed from her trip just a few hours after I did and met us at the apartment.  After seeing a little bit of the city and doing a little grocery shopping I tried to unpack a little and we went to eat.  Nicole isn't studying German like Maggie and I are.  But I am truly impressed that she decided to travel abroad to a non-English speaking country and figure it out.  I honestly I don't know if I could move to a country were I don't speak the language.  But she is open to the culture and learning some of the language and she's actually picking up a lot!

We got our menus at the Chinese restaurant and Maggie, Lauren and I were talking about what sounded good etc.  (There was German and English on our menus)  I looked up at Nicole because she wasn't saying anything and she said, "I don't know how to order from this menu....its all in Chinese." Needless to say, we all starting laughing hysterically.  Poor Nicole.  She's been trying all day to pick up German words and figure things out and then she gets a Chinese menu!! It was funny.  Looking back on it, I'm sure we were a little delirious from exhaustion, which made the situation even more amusing.

We all enjoyed our Chinese food, and then went home and crashed.  It was a pretty successful first day.

No comments:

Post a Comment